“Let it go. We are not talking about murders, robberies, druggies, rapists. It is continuing to waste the court’s time and federal taxpayers’ money. I know the federal government wants to make a point, but get over it.”

Cynthia Sewell

Idaho Statesman

Two failed trials is enough, some Republican legislators say.

Thirty-four Idaho lawmakers — one-third of the full combined House and Senate — sent a letter Tuesday to U.S. Attorney General Jeff Sessions asking him to get Nevada federal prosecutors to relax their pursuit of four Idahoans charged or convicted in connection with the 2014 Bunkerville standoff in Nevada.

“We believe that the decision by the current U.S. attorney to Nevada to prosecute these men a third time represents disrespect for the rule of law and the jury system,” states the letter signed by 26 House members and eight Senate members, along with five retired lawmakers.

On Friday, a federal judge set a trial date for Oct. 10, according to the Las Vegas Review-Journal

The four men, Ammon Bundy, of Emmett; Eric Parker, of Hailey; Scott Drexler, of Challis; and Todd Engel, of Boundary County, were among nearly 20 defendants arrested in early 2016 as part of a nationwide roundup regarding the armed standoff against federal law enforcement officers that took place in April 2014. The federal officials tried rounding up cattle that belonged to rancher Cliven Bundy, who had refused for years to pay grazing fees.

State Rep. Dorothy Moon, R-Stanley, is the letter’s lead author. Others with their names affixed include House Majority Leader Mike Moyle; Assistant Majority Leader Brent Crane; Treasure Valley Sens. Clifford Bayer and Lori Den Hartog; and Treasure Valley Reps. Judy Boyle, Christy Perry, Brandon Hixon, Greg Chaney, Joe Palmer, James Holtzclaw, Steve Harris and Jason Monks.

“I think it is a complete injustice and a waste of taxpayer money and time to continue to go after these guys after two mistrials,” said Rep. Boyle, from Midvale.

“Let it go. We are not talking about murders, robberies, druggies, rapists. It is continuing to waste the court’s time and federal taxpayers’ money. I know the federal government wants to make a point, but get over it.”

Read the full article here

 


Free Range Report

 

Comments

  1. The Donald told Cliven to cut a deal.

    I discharged the claim last year.

    Someone is double dipping.

    Namaste,
    Henry Mayhew

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *